Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Absence of Choice

There is a Sufi saying, "Freedom is the absence of choice."

I'm getting a a true taste of what is meant by this.

A good friend is struggling with the decisions of Tin Can, String and Whistle Ltd. Lots of people are struggling with some of their decisions, but I see my friend's torment and I can't help getting dragged into some his anxiety. To stay or to go? Lots of people are asking this at the moment. Myself included.

Complicating matters for my friend is a visa situation. To remain in Australia, or to go back to Europe? What are the benefits? What are the isues? What are the problems?

See to me - there would be no choice. Get the visa papers. Stay. Have the option to be in both places. This isn't a choice, but giving yourself options. But he is steadfast in not taking up permanent residency. His choices and options are different.

I'm sure some of my ove- reacting is because a large number of my friends have left or are leaving the country and the company. I also know I have to look at my options in the near future when it comes to work. What do I want to do? Where do I want to go? What next?

As I have no direct support network, no partner to financially keep me going, I'm responsible for myself. I have no choice but to work. How it must be to have choices around whether to work. I don't know what this is like. Maybe this should be the next thing to search for. Maybe my freedom is in having to work - and not knowing where the world will take me.

Card of the blog: The Hanged Man - At the crossroads, stop and look around, martyrs, victims, seeing things from another view, surrendering to the world and letting things happen, stagnation, looking at ones options from all sides.

Gotta love the tarot deck.

Pand


Kilometres walked since 29 January: 56 km
Kilometres run since 29 January: 32 km
Currently reading: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami, Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
Weight lost since 29 Jan: 0.7 kg

No comments: