Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Meme: The Fun Fifteen

It's Sunday, which means it's blog and chore day. This means it's meme time, with chores and jobs.

As always, Sunday Stealing has provided the questions. I have a bit to do today. Let see what jobs I can get done.


Job: Go gym.


1. You have been awarded the time off from work and an all-expenses paid week anywhere in the United States. The catch is that it must be somewhere you have not been before. Where do you choose to visit?


Why must it be the United States? Why cant't it be somewhere else? Okay, if I was to have a week in the States I'd like to go to San Francisco and Seattle. I've done a little bit of the East Coast but none of the West Coast, Good coffee and culture are a must and both of these places seem to have these in buckets, Also San Francisco as a friend of mine is just moving over, taking on a job at Google - he's promised me a tour of the place if I come over.


Job: Load of Washing

 2. Name your guilty pleasures.


Ice cream, eggs with tomato sauce, vegemite toast with lashings if butter, expensive perfume, Pandora charms, Dr Blake, film and theatre. I'm not sure that all of these are guilty pleasures but they do make life far more fun.


Job: Hang out the washing

 3. The best kind of milkshake is:


Vanilla malted. Failing that, anything that is made in a road house with full fat milk and ice cream and served in a tin cup.


Job, Printed out tax stuff to take to the accountants soon.

 4. What do you value most in other people?


Honesty, kindness, a sense of adventure and a sense of fun. Intelligence is a bonus too.

Job: Print out work forms and sign them ready for tomorrow


 5. Be honest. Do you sneak some raw cookie dough when you’re baking cookies?


Of course. Uncooked cookie dough and cake batter is the best - normally I leave it until I get to lick the bowl and the beaters after.


Job: Make bed

 6. Have you ever looked back at your life and realized that something you thought was a bad thing was actually a blessing in disguise?


Yes. An number of times. I remember having a huge argument with somebody once. Broke my heart at the time. The best thing was it got him out of my system, put some boundaries in place and now we're friends, just as we're supposed to be. Getting made redundant a few years ago was the best thing to have ever happened to me too. Sounds like a cop out, but it made me find my stride.


Job: Sign and send on paperwork for tomorrow's start

 7. What is the most beautiful place you have ever visited?


I've been to many beautiful places in my time, both man made and natural. Today I'm going to nominate the Lady Chapel at Ely Cathedral. It's all to do with the light. It's stunning.




Job: Clean teeth

 8. Are you more of a thinker or a feeler?


Definitely a feeler. I'm reasonably good at thinking, but I like to rely on my instincts to get around in the world. Has never let me down.


Job: Tidy up


 9. Name three things you are thankful for right now.


1) My health

2) The fact I'm employable and pick up work easily
3) That there is a cat asleep on the couch - he's kept me warm these last few nights

Job: Dishes done
 10. Have you ever participated in a three-legged race?


Yes, but I think I was about nine-years-old at the time.


Job: Start ironing


 11. When you are at an event that plays the National Anthem, do you place your hand over your heart?


As an Australian, you struggle to get us to stand up for the National Anthem at times. We do, but it is a struggle. So I place my hand over my heart when it plays? No. I feel more and I want to put my hand over my heart when I hear The Last Post more often than not.


Job: Apply make up


 12. Have you ever been on the wrong side of the law?


Yes. Thankfully I've never been caught. now and then I go over the speed limit. That counts, doesn't it?


Job: Continue ironing


 13. When was the last time you unintentionally surprised someone else?


A few people were surprised that I'm embarking on this Masters in Writing course which starts in a few weeks. 


Job: Feed Cat


 14. When was the last time you deliberately surprised someone else?


It was many years ago, but I surprised my sister when I came back from London - turned up a day early. She was cranky with me for a while as she said that there house wasn't cleaned... typical for my family.


Job: Put away the ironing


 15. What was the last really funny movie you watched? 


That goes to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" which was one of the silliest and funniest films I've seen in years. For pure spit takes, I also reckon that "The Trip to Italy" was pretty good. Can't say "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" without giggling.


(Where do I stand on Michael Buble? His wind pipe is the answer....)

7 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

This meme, like many others, is so American.

The National Anthem question in particular reminds me of an embarrassing episode at the Epcot Centre (Center?) in Florida. We were waiting to see a show about American Presidents and being entertained by a an American folk band playing old colonial songs.

And then they played the American National Anthem. There were a few hundred people there and every single one of them, except me, my ex-wife and the guy next to her, stood up and started bellowing out the Star Spangled Banner with their hands firmly planted on the hearts.

Me, my ex and the other guy (who coincidentally was an Aussie), looked at each other and chuckled with the words "spot the foreigner!".

The number of dirty looks we got for showing disrespect was phenomenal.

But the dirtiest look I got was when somebody overheard me asking how many states there were.

If that were to happen now I wouldn't just take it; I would remark about not being American and see what reaction I got.

Conversely, in your fantastic country, we were able to enjoy lots of good-natured patriotic banter with your fellow countrymen.

That's why I like Aussies!!

:0)

Cheers

PM

CountryDew said...

I think licking the bowl before the clean-up is the best part of baking.

Kwizgiver said...

Grand Budapest Hotel is on my To Be Watched list--I can't wait to see it!

Bev Sykes said...

I was born and raised in San Francisco and consider myself very fortunate that so many people think it's a great place to visit.

To return the favor, I spent 6 weeks in WA in 2003 and fell in love with Australia. I still marvel at the color of the Indian Ocean and the splendor of Kilbarri Park. Watching the roos in the park where we walked the dogs each morning was very special.

Stacy said...

My daughter spent 3 weeks in Australia a few years ago and she brought some vegemite back for us to try. After seeing it and smelling it, I was the only one brave enough to give it a try. I'm guessing it's an acquired taste.

katie eggeman said...

I really liked the Grand Budapest Hotel, thought it was a little crazy at the beginning. I think if I were at somewhere where there was another national anthem, I would at least stand if one were being played, hand over heart and singing along is certainly optional and I don't think any one else in the audience would have taken any offence.

Pandora Behr said...

Agree banker chick, I'll stand for another's National Anthem - just don't ask me to sing along. Vegemite is great stuff - it;s all about the butter to vegemite ration (I say about about 5 parts butter, one part vegemite is the secret) great stuff. Never goes out of date either.