Sunday, January 4, 2015

The 2014/2015 Meme

Finally I'm coming out of my ear infection funk and looking forward to the year at last. It's only taken four days, a course of antibiotics and a lot of knitting to make this happen.

So here is Sunday Stealing's welcome to the new year. Some interesting questions here for a change. Let's see how we go.

1.What one event, big or small, are you going to tell your grandchildren about?

I will never have grandchildren. Step-grandchildren maybe but I won't be having grandkids. If I was to have grand kids I might tell them about Christmas in Tasmania and the dancing people at the picnic ground. I might also tell them about Craig McLachlan playing Frankenfurter in the stage version of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

2.If you had to describe your 2014 in 3 words, what would they be?

Frustration. Tenacity. Hope.

3.What new things did you discover about yourself?

I'm getting better at giving myself a break.

4.What single achievement are you most proud of?

Most probably making it into the Masters program in July. I was quite chuffed to be admitted really quickly after applying.

5.What was the best news you received?

Being notified that I'd got my current job was great. I was miserable in the role I had before that.

6.What was your favourite place that you visited in 2014?

We had a brilliant time in Tasmania at Christmas - so this goes to Northern Tasmania. I want to go back and explore some more.

7.Which of your personal qualities turned out to be the most helpful this year?

I think my inate chirpiness has seen me through some pretty ordinary situations - nothing major, but I'm glad I look on the bright side of things.

8.Who was your number one go-to person that you could always rely on?

I don't rely on people as a rule. I'm glad my friends are around the place and the inner circle are always there to give counsel, but really, other than the inner circle (Blarney, Jonella, Teddie, Dream group...) there isn't one go to person.

9.Which new skills did you learn?

I can now knit cables - that was something I've always wanted to be able to do. It's not that hard.

10.What, or who, are you most thankful for?

I'm thankful for my health, my friends and my tenacity.

11.If someone wrote a book about your life in 2014, what kind of genre would it be? A comedy, love story, drama, film noir or something else?

My life would make a very boring film, however it would be a light drama with a romantic undertones to it.


12.What was the most important lesson you learnt in 2014?

Not so much learned, but reinforced - seeing the bright side of things can get you through pretty much anything.

13.Which mental block(s) did you overcome?

The obsessive need to lose weight. Yes, I'm overweight - but I'm fit and healthy and I don't need to beat myself up for being overweight. I will do it and I will enjoy it - until then, I'm enjoying my body, big as it is.

14.What 5 people did you most enjoy spending time with?

Fairly easy.

Blarney and family - always fun.
Jonella and Teddy - my single girlie friends who I see a lot of
Jay, Elle, Em and the girls from the gym - as well as Slap - my now ex personal trainer (Ex because he's moved to Perth, not because I sacked him)
My former work husband, Davey. He made a bad job great (actually the whole team helped make the job palatable)

15.What was your biggest break-through moment career-wise?

One of two things. Starting the Masters in Writing - that may be a breakthrough - we are yet to see.
Also taking a step back to Tech Writing from Instructional Design was a great thing to do - feel much happier in my current role.

16.How did your relationship to your family evolve?

Stayed at the status quo. No major hiccoughs. We're Methodists - we don't fight.

17.What book or movie affected your life in a profound way?

Easy. Hannah Kent's "Burial Rites". An amazing book, stunningly written about an unsavoury topic. Thing is, Hannah Kent is a 28 year old upstart from Adelaide. If she can do something like this - so can I. This book is the reason I started my Masters journey.

18.What was your favourite compliment that you received this year?

"You could crack walnuts with your bum cheeks they're so hard." Not bad for a forty-something.

19.What little things did you most enjoy during your day-to-day life?

Walking, cuddling the cat (when he comes over - Maow Maow is a lovely boy) eating mangoes naked in the shower.

20.What cool things did you create this year?

As a creative I make lots of things. Birthday cakes,cat blankets,short stories, poems, berets - I'm always making stuff. I like to think I've created a bubble of calm around me most of the time too.

21.What was your most common mental state this year (e.g. excited, curious, stressed)?

Slightly exasperated

22.Was there anything you did for the very first time in your life this year?

Told somebody I loved them - words that could have been said 20 years ago.

23.What was your favourite moment spent with your friends?

Christmas was wonderful this year. Calm and relaxed for three straight days.
I also loved the night out we had at the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Oh, and watching the full eclipse from the footbridge on the Yarra - that was a really special night indeed.

24.What major goal did you lay the foundations for?

A possible literary career
And maybe a relationship

25.Which worries turned out to be completely unnecessary?

That I'd be unemployed for long periods of time - I was very lucky indeed - and long may that luck remain.

4 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Sounds like a great 2014 and an even better 2015 is yet to come!

lia said...

glad you're feeling better! what an interesting compliment! heehee! and i know i've said this before, but good luck with that masters! i would love to be able to go back to school and get a degree in something like writing! wow! good for you!

CountryDew said...

You had a decent year. I hope the education goes well. I'm pulling for you.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Not a bad meme - I will probably steal this in December 2015.

:o)

Cheers

PM